Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Sofa Revival

I decided to check out craiglist last week just because you never know what you're gonna find. Posted in the garage sale section was this amazing sofa from the 1920s. It was sitting inside an old brick building that was previously a train depot station. It's now on schedule to be torn down. And, it was only several miles from my house so I thought that it wouldn't hurt to go down and take a look at it.



So, I'm really not into stuffy old grandma antiques and I have visions of funk-i-fying this gem. I've been drooling over several sofas on Anthropologie.com but they're well out of my price range.


My plans are to paint this sofa a glossy black and cover it in gray linen fabric.  Many people may think it's  crazy to paint the wood, however, I believe this gives it a more modern appeal that I'm looking for.  I've chose a neutral fabric because I don't want anything too trendy and it's gotta match a lot of different stuff.  I haven't decided if my mother and I are going to upholster it or if I'm going to find someone.

Okay, here's the best part.  I got this couch for $45!  It's structurally in fine shape (including the springs that are still strong).  The only issue being one leg needs to be put back on.   I had to keep the sofa at the train depot for several days before picking it up and someone offered him $500 for it!  Okay, so I'm glad I went and got it before he changed his mind and gave me my money back!  I know he's kicking his self.

I will give updates on the progress of this project so check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment